Hi, this is an issue of my monthly newsletter. I’ve picked a few interesting articles on technology, startups, growth, marketing and other topics for you.
I hope you enjoy the read with your morning cup of coffee. Let me know what you think! ~Max
Technology and Startups
- Fake videos of real people — and how to spot them. (TED video)
- The Cloud 100. The top private companies in cloud computing 2018.
- Magic Leap One first look: worth the hype? Spoiler: not quite. (TechnologyReview)
- The Impossible Job: Inside Facebook’s Struggle to Moderate Two Billion People. The struggle is real. (VICE)
- Tesla, software and disruption. A deeper look at Tesla’s business strategy and future. Is Tesla going to completely disrupt the car industry? Or will the incumbents learn to build software faster than Tesla can learn to make cars at scale? (Ben Evans, a16z)
- Everybody Dance Now. “Do as I do” motion transfer facilitated by machine learning: given a source video of a person dancing, that performance can be transferred to a novel (amateur) target after only a few minutes of the target subject performing standard moves. (3-min video)
- WhatsApp Cofounder Brian Acton Gives The Inside Story On #DeleteFacebook And Why He Left $850 Million Behind. The story behind the conflict between WhatsApp founders and Facebook business strategy. Bonus: promising messaging apps that prioritize privacy, such as Signal and AnchorFree. (Forbes)
Growth and Marketing
- Slack Copywriting: What They Say to 9.6 Million Pageviews Every Month. Sometimes talking about specific product features can be more effective than talking about customer benefits.
- All Things Sales! 16 Mini-Lessons for Startup Founders. (a16z)