People sometimes ask for my reasons behind choosing Berkeley-Haas among other schools.
Shortly, these are the reasons:
- It is a part of bigger top university.
- For instance, I do not think I would enjoy going to LBS or INSEAD as much. These are great schools, but they are not part of top universities.
- There is something special about being on campus with ~30 thousand smartest students from all over the world who also major in fields other than business.
- For example, UC Berkeley is currently top 1-2 in Computer Science, top 1-5 in Physics and top 1-3 in Mechanical Engineering.
- Location, location, location. Not only because it is sunny California, but because being close to Silicon Valley opens many career opportunities that are highly germane to my vision.
- Focus on technology and entrepreneurship.
- Believe it or not, but the I find the defining principles personally appealing.
- Great brand and good rankings do not hurt as well.
- But in particular I liked the fact that Haas ranks well on the “Student evaluation” axis, it is #2 in “Students’ evaluation of career services” and quite high overall “Student rating of program (out of 5)”, 4.56, according to The Economist 2013 rankings.
- I really want to add “people” to this list of Berkley-Haas strengths, but this would be probably unfair as I cannot compare to other schools as I could not know it for sure before starting the program.
The list could go on and on and on, but these are probably the main ones top-of-mind. Of course, there are drawbacks as well, but no one schools is perfect.